With numerous train stations located across the county and regular express connections to London's Euston Station, trains to Staffordshire are simply the best way to explore the area. Highlights of the county include the charming pottery town of Stoke-on-Trent and the adrenalin-inducing Alton Towers theme park – the ultimate family day out. Nearly all towns and villages have their own stations with major terminals across the county including Stoke, Lichfield, Burton upon Trent and Stafford. Passengers can travel from London to Staffordshire train stations in as little as 1h 17m with Virgin Trains. In addition to the iconic Alton Towers theme park, visitors to Staffordshire can explore such delights as the Gladstone Pottery Museum and the historic Middleton Hall. Travel by train from London Euston to Staffordshire in 1h 57m to reach the largest town of Stoke – the ideal place to begin your explorations of this historic county in the north-west of England. Trains from London to Staffordshire operate on a regular basis, often several an hour, with service running late into the evening. For some destinations, it's quicker to change in Birmingham rather than Stoke, so always check before you travel.
Top destinations in Staffordshire
- Lichfield - Up to 4 trains an hour call at Lichfield City railway station. Once you disembark you can explore highlights of the town such as Lichfield Cathedral and the old Corn Exchange which today is a retail and hospitality hotspot.
- Stoke-on-Trent - Famed for its pottery, the town has many quaint attractions to discover including the Gladstone Pottery Museum and Trentham Gardens. The station is served by trains from both Manchester Piccadilly and London Euston.
- Burton upon Trent - The National Brewery Centre is the main attraction in the town, which is served by a small station. There are no direct services to London; passengers must change at Manchester or Birmingham.
- Stafford - This charming market town derives its name from the county in which it resides and is known for the ancient Stafford Castle and Victoria Park located on the town's river banks. Stafford railway station connects directly to London.
- Alton Towers - Spend the day exploring the UK's largest theme park and the thrilling rides such as Oblivion, Nemesis and Air. While no train station directly serves Alton Towers, buses connect the nearby towns of Stoke-on-Trent, Uttoxeter and Derby to the park at frequent intervals throughout the day.
Train to Staffordshire from London
The county of Staffordshire is located some 160 miles to the north-west of London, a stone's throw from Manchester and to the north of Birmingham. Frequent services connect London to Staffordshire. The quickest option is the Virgin Trains service from London Euston. The direct train from Euston takes just 1h 35m to Stoke-on-Trent where you can connect to other Staffordshire destinations. During the week, approximately two trains an hour connect London to Stoke-on Trent. Virgin Trains also operates a direct service to Stafford with a journey time of 1h 17m.
Those travelling to Burton upon Trent will also depart from London's Euston Station with Virgin but will require a change at Birmingham New Street Station. In Birmingham, passengers can connect to a CrossCountry service to Burton with a total travel time of 2h 1m. For Alton Towers, passengers can take a train to Stoke where they connect via a bus which travels directly to the park. Another well-traversed route is London to Uttoxeter, a total journey time of 1h 57m with one change required at Stoke-on-Trent.
Train stations in Staffordshire
- Barlaston railway station
- Bilbrook railway station
- Blythe Bridge railway station
- Burton-on-Trent railway station
- Cannock railway station
- Codsall railway station
- Hednesford railway station
- Kidsgrove railway station
- Landywood railway station
- Lichfield City railway station
- Lichfield Trent Valley railway station
- Penkridge railway station
- Rugeley Town railway station
- Rugeley Trent Valley railway station
- Shenstone railway station
- Stafford railway station
- Stone railway station
- Tamworth railway station
- Uttoxeter railway station
- Wedgwood railway station
- Wilnecote railway station