The original station at Burton-on-Trent was opened in 1839 by the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway, it stood for 44 years before being rebuilt a mere 150 yards further south so it could accommodate more traffic. This was not to be the station's last reincarnation, however, as it was rebuilt again in 1971, before undergoing a major redevelopment in 2011, which brought about improved disabled access and a new waiting room.
The town of Burton-on-Trent has a long history of beer brewing, and as such, saw a great deal of industrial freight traffic in its early years. Today, though, the station runs several, frequent, cross-country services to Cardiff, Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds, Newcastle, Plymouth and Edinburgh.
Situated in the Staffordshire valleys, aside the River Trent, Burton is still home to a staggering eight breweries, including famous names such as Marston's and Coors.