- on timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 606:15Birmingham New StreetPlatform 607:53Preston (Lancs)Platform 5 estimated08:14Preston (Lancs)Platform 310:42Glasgow Centralon timeGlasgow CentralOff Peak
- on timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 7 estimated07:15Birmingham New StreetPlatform 7 estimated08:52Preston (Lancs)Platform 3 estimated09:00Preston (Lancs)Platform 5 estimated11:35Glasgow CentralPlatform 5 estimatedon timeGlasgow CentralPlatform 5 estimatedOff Peak
- on timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 7 estimated08:15Birmingham New StreetPlatform 7 estimated09:07CrewePlatform 11 estimated09:52CrewePlatform 11 estimated12:59Glasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimatedon timeGlasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimatedOff Peak
- on timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 6 estimated09:15Birmingham New StreetPlatform 6 estimated10:07CrewePlatform 11 estimated10:47CrewePlatform 12 estimated13:59Glasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimatedon timeGlasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimatedOff Peak
- on timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 6 estimated10:15Birmingham New StreetPlatform 6 estimated11:07CrewePlatform 11 estimated11:53CrewePlatform 11 estimated15:10Glasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimatedon timeGlasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimatedOff Peak
Journey information from Birmingham to Glasgow
- Train Fares from: £18.50
- Fastest route:
- Slowest route:
- Average journey time:
- Changes: Direct
Travelling from Birmingham to Glasgow by train
There's a direct train route from Birmingham to Glasgow serviced by Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains).
Depending on the date and time of travel, you can either travel with Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains), CrossCountry or TransPennine Express.
All the Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains) Trains on this line come with a power socket seat on request, a buffet cart or carriage and a Quiet Coach. There's complimentary WiFi when sat in First Class, and a small fee to pay for those in Standard.
CrossCountry trains all come with a First Class option. There's a buffet car on most trains, if not, then there will be a buffet cart providing at-seat service. Most CrossCountry trains on this route feature a Quiet Coach and there's free WiFi if you travel in First Class (WiFi can be purchased for a small fee if you're seated in Standard).
All TransPennine Express trains offer free WiFi as standard for all classes. There's also First Class seating available on this service, where you receive complimentary refreshments, bigger seats and power sockets if you need to get some work done.
Route information from Birmingham to Glasgow
The train from Birmingham to Glasgow takes you through the heart of England, crossing the Yorkshire Dales National Park and Lake district, before heading to Southern Scotland. So, make sure to have your camera at the ready and grab a window seat for some amazing shots.
Things to do in Glasgow
A city that's home to so many exciting attractions, one of your first stops should be the Glasgow Botanic Gardens – a beautiful collection of plant life and glasshouses. You'll also be impressed by the majesty of Pollok Country Park, where you can discover a Sylvan wonderland with a grand country house that holds the UK’s finest Spanish art collection.
For those eager to discover history and culture, one of the best options is the stunning Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, one of the most popular art temples of Scotland thanks to its unique and varied collections, ranging from dinosaurs to Dutch Masters.
How long does it take to travel from Birmingham to Glasgow by train?
The average journey time between Birmingham and Glasgow is . On an average weekday, there are 24 trains travelling from Birmingham to Glasgow. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.Avg. Duration
What is the fastest journey from Birmingham to Glasgow by train?
The fastest journey time by train is .
How much does the train from Birmingham to Glasgow cost?
Train tickets from Birmingham to Glasgow can start from as little as £18.50 when you book in advance and are usually more expensive when purchased on the day. Prices can also vary depending the time of day, route and class you book.
Are there direct trains from Birmingham to Glasgow?
Yes, it is possible to travel from Birmingham to Glasgow without having to change trains. Use our journey planner above to get direct train times from Birmingham to Glasgow.Direct
What is the distance between Birmingham and Glasgow?
The distance between Birmingham and Glasgow is 252 miles.Distance: 252 miles
What time is the first train from Birmingham to Glasgow?
The first train from Birmingham to Glasgow departs at .
What time is the last train from Birmingham to Glasgow?
The last train from Birmingham to Glasgow departs at .First trainLast trainNo sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays; use the Journey Planner above to search for a specific train on your chosen travel date.
If you're like us, you've probably seen the sheer number of ticket types available in the UK and wondered ''Why are there so many?!'' Well, luckily we've put together a handy guide to all the variations of train ticket you may encounter on your travels.Our guide to ticket types:*Please note that not all types of train tickets are available for every journey. Factors such as the time, date and train company you'll be using can affect the availability of each one.
If you’re looking for the return train journey, check out trains from Glasgow to Birmingham.