- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated08:27Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated11:29HaymarketPlatform 3 estimated11:37HaymarketPlatform 2 estimated13:49AberdeenPlatform 4 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 4 estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester VictoriaPlatform 608:55Manchester VictoriaPlatform 609:30Wigan North WesternPlatform 2 estimated09:38Wigan North WesternPlatform 5 estimated12:16HaymarketPlatform 3 estimated12:35HaymarketPlatform 2 estimated14:50AberdeenPlatform 3 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 3 estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated10:26Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated13:24HaymarketPlatform 3 estimated13:36HaymarketPlatform 2 estimated15:50AberdeenPlatform 7S estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 7S estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated10:47Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated11:42Preston (Lancs)Platform 4 estimated11:53Preston (Lancs)Platform 3 estimated14:17Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 9 estimated14:29Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 2 estimated17:04AberdeenPlatform 5 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 5 estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated11:47Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated12:18Wigan North WesternPlatform 5 estimated12:25Wigan North WesternPlatform 5 estimated14:59Glasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimated14:59Glasgow Central15:39Glasgow Queen Street15:39Glasgow Queen StreetPlatform 7 estimated18:13AberdeenPlatform 4 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 4 estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated12:26Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated15:36Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 11 estimated16:28Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 15 estimated19:01AberdeenPlatform 3 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 3 estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated12:47Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated13:43Preston (Lancs)Platform 3 estimated13:53Preston (Lancs)Platform 3 estimated16:18Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 9 estimated16:28Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 15 estimated19:01AberdeenPlatform 3 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 3 estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated14:26Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated17:32HaymarketPlatform 3 estimated17:42HaymarketPlatform 2 estimated20:06AberdeenPlatform 4 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 4 estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated14:47Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated15:43Preston (Lancs)Platform 4 estimated15:53Preston (Lancs)Platform 3 estimated18:21Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8E estimated18:33Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 19 estimated21:15AberdeenPlatform 5 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 5 estimatedPeak
- on timeManchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated16:26Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 14 estimated19:34HaymarketPlatform 3 estimated19:39HaymarketPlatform 2 estimated21:50AberdeenPlatform 4 estimatedon timeAberdeenPlatform 4 estimatedPeak
Journey information from Manchester to Aberdeen
- Train Fares from: £21.20
- Fastest route:
- Slowest route:
- Average journey time:
- Changes: 1 to 4
Travelling from Manchester to Aberdeen by train
Manchester to Aberdeen by train is a fantastic way to view the North of England and the Scottish coast all from the comfort of a train seat. You will need to use both TransPennine Express and ScotRail trains for this route, as a change is required at Edinburgh Haymarket station. On TransPennine Express trains from Manchester Piccadilly to Haymarket, you can get free WiFi in all carriages. There's also First Class seating available on this service. You receive complimentary refreshments, bigger seats and power sockets, ideal for getting some work done.
Visit our ScotRail page for more information about onboard services for the second part of your trip.
Manchester to Aberdeen Route Information
The train from Manchester to Aberdeen is a great way see the Lake District and Scottish Lowlands, with a fantastic surprise towards the end. Leaving Manchester, you'll first make your way through the national parks in the North of England, the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District, truly some of England’s most spectacular views. Not long after, you'll be heading into the Scottish Lowlands and travelling through the hills towards Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, where you change at Edinburgh Haymarket station. Leaving Edinburgh behind, you'll finally reach the surprise of the trip, crossing the Forth Bridge. At 1.5 miles long, you'll cross one of Scotland’s most famous structures, and stare out into the wide mouth of the Firth of Forth as it heads into the North Sea. It doesn’t matter where you sit on the train, you're going to get an amazing view. For the rest of the journey, you'll continue to travel up the East coast of Scotland, crossing the River Tay at Dundee, before pulling into Aberdeen not long after that.
Things to do in Aberdeen
Take a look at Balmoral Castle, one of the official Royal residences for Her Majesty the Queen. A visit to the Tolbooth is highly recommended as it's a historic jail which gives you a mesmerising insight into medieval Scotland. Finally, take a trip to the Aberdeen Maritime Museum, which offers a rich history of Aberdeen’s proud nautical tradition.
How long does it take to travel from Manchester to Aberdeen by train?
The average journey time between Manchester and Aberdeen is . On an average weekday, there are 94 trains travelling from Manchester to Aberdeen. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.Avg. Duration
What is the fastest journey from Manchester to Aberdeen by train?
The fastest journey time by train is .
How much does the train from Manchester to Aberdeen cost?
Train tickets from Manchester to Aberdeen can start from as little as £21.20 when you book in advance and are usually more expensive when purchased on the day. Prices can also vary depending the time of day, route and class you book.
Are there direct trains from Manchester to Aberdeen?
No, it is not possible to travel from Manchester to Aberdeen without having to change trains. Use our journey planner above to get direct train times from Manchester to Aberdeen.No direct trains possible
What is the distance between Manchester and Aberdeen?
The distance between Manchester and Aberdeen is 253 miles.Distance: 253 miles
What time is the first train from Manchester to Aberdeen?
The first train from Manchester to Aberdeen departs at .
What time is the last train from Manchester to Aberdeen?
The last train from Manchester to Aberdeen departs at .First trainLast trainNo sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays; use the Journey Planner above to search for a specific train on your chosen travel date.
If you're like us, you've probably seen the sheer number of ticket types available in the UK and wondered ''Why are there so many?!'' Well, luckily we've put together a handy guide to all the variations of train ticket you may encounter on your travels.Our guide to ticket types:*Please note that not all types of train tickets are available for every journey. Factors such as the time, date and train company you'll be using can affect the availability of each one.
If you’re looking for the return train journey, check out trains from Aberdeen to Manchester.