- on timeLondon Eustonon timeInverness0 changesSuper Off Peak
- on timeLondon Kings CrossPlatform 2 estimated21:00London Kings CrossPlatform 2 estimated00:45NewcastlePlatform 3 estimated06:22NewcastlePlatform 2 estimated08:07Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8 estimated08:36Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 15 estimated11:59InvernessPlatform 3 estimatedInvernessPlatform 3 estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeLondon Kings CrossPlatform 1 estimated22:00London Kings CrossPlatform 1 estimated00:20YorkPlatform 6 estimated06:35YorkPlatform 9 estimated09:22Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 5 estimated09:48Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 11 estimated10:31StirlingPlatform 2 estimated10:36StirlingPlatform 2 estimated13:25InvernessPlatform 3 estimatedInvernessPlatform 3 estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeLondon Kings CrossPlatform 1 estimated22:00London Kings CrossPlatform 1 estimated00:20YorkPlatform 6 estimated06:35YorkPlatform 9 estimated09:22Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 5 estimated10:38Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 17 estimated14:11InvernessPlatform 2 estimatedInvernessPlatform 2 estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeLondon St Pancras InternationalPlatform 2 estimated22:05London St Pancras InternationalPlatform 2 estimated01:16SheffieldPlatform 1 estimated05:15SheffieldPlatform 4B estimated06:31LeedsPlatform 10B estimated07:08LeedsPlatform 9 estimated10:20Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 19 estimated10:38Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 17 estimated14:11InvernessPlatform 2 estimatedInvernessPlatform 2 estimatedSuper Off Peak
Travelling from London to Inverness by train
There's a direct train route from London King's Cross to Inverness using London North Eastern Railway (LNER). Onboard you'll find the buffet car called The Foodbar) usually located either in coach J or H, where you can purchase hot and cold food and drink throughout the day. First Class passengers can enjoy complimentary WiFi, while those seated in Standard can pay a small fee for the service. There's also an alternative route that involves making one change at Edinburgh Waverley, where a ScotRail train will take you on the second leg to the final destination. You can visit our ScotRail page to find out what other onboard services they provide.
London to Inverness Route Information
The train from London to Inverness takes you through the heart of England, crossing the Peak District and the Lake District before heading into the Lowlands of Scotland. Make sure to grab a window seat so you don't miss out on these amazing views. It doesn’t stop there though, as one of the best sights is saved for last. The crossing of the Forth Rail Bridge outside Edinburgh is a spectacular experience for all. You’ll then get the chance to see Cairngorms National Park, the largest national park in the UK, before arriving at Inverness.
Things to do in Inverness
A city that's famed for its proximity to Loch Ness, you can arrange for a tour of the world-famous loch in hope of spotting old Nessie for yourself. Alternatively, you can visit Urquhart Castle or Cawdor Castle for a magnificent trip back through time, while Chanonry Point is an excellent spot for catching a sight of some wild Dolphins.
How long does it take to travel from London to Inverness by train?
The average journey time between London and Inverness is . On an average weekday, there are 2 trains travelling from London to Inverness. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.Avg. Duration
What is the fastest journey from London to Inverness by train?
The fastest journey time by train is .
How much does the train from London to Inverness cost?
Train tickets from London to Inverness can start from as little as £38 when you book in advance and are usually more expensive when purchased on the day. Prices can also vary depending the time of day, route and class you book.
Are there direct trains from London to Inverness?
Yes, it is possible to travel from London to Inverness without having to change trains. Use our journey planner above to get direct train times from London to Inverness.Direct
What is the distance between London and Inverness?
The distance between London and Inverness is 444 miles.Distance: 444 miles
What time is the first train from London to Inverness?
The first train from London to Inverness departs at .
What time is the last train from London to Inverness?
The last train from London to Inverness departs at .First trainLast trainNo sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays; use the Journey Planner above to search for a specific train on your chosen travel date.
If you're like us, you've probably seen the sheer number of ticket types available in the UK and wondered ''Why are there so many?!'' Well, luckily we've put together a handy guide to all the variations of train ticket you may encounter on your travels.Our guide to ticket types:*Please note that not all types of train tickets are available for every journey. Factors such as the time, date and train company you'll be using can affect the availability of each one.
If you’re looking for the return train journey, check out trains from Inverness to London.