- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 5 estimated10:00Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 5 estimated14:39London Kings CrossPlatform 1 estimated14:39London Kings Cross15:35London Waterloo15:35London WaterlooPlatform 11 estimated16:49Southampton CentralPlatform 4 estimatedon timeSouthampton CentralPlatform 4 estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 5 estimated10:00Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 5 estimated11:27NewcastlePlatform 3 estimated11:35NewcastlePlatform 12 estimated17:17Southampton CentralPlatform 2B estimatedon timeSouthampton CentralPlatform 2B estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 7 estimated10:12Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 7 estimated13:24Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 13 estimated14:27Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 5 estimated18:42Southampton CentralPlatform 3 estimatedon timeSouthampton CentralPlatform 3 estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 1910:30Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 1914:51London Kings CrossPlatform 7 estimated14:51London Kings Cross15:50London Waterloo15:50London WaterlooPlatform 7 estimated16:36BasingstokePlatform 2 estimated16:44BasingstokePlatform 2 estimated17:17Southampton CentralPlatform 2B estimatedon timeSouthampton CentralPlatform 2B estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 1910:30Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 1914:51London Kings CrossPlatform 7 estimated14:51London Kings Cross16:05London Waterloo16:05London WaterlooPlatform 10 estimated17:21Southampton CentralPlatform 4 estimatedon timeSouthampton CentralPlatform 4 estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 211:06Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 216:04Birmingham New StreetPlatform 11B estimated17:04Birmingham New StreetPlatform 1A estimated19:41Southampton CentralPlatform 4 estimatedon timeSouthampton CentralPlatform 4 estimatedSuper Off Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 7 estimated12:12Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 7 estimated15:24Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 13 estimated16:27Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 5 estimated20:43Southampton CentralPlatform 4 estimatedon timeSouthampton CentralPlatform 4 estimatedSuper Off Peak
Travelling from Edinburgh to Southampton by train
There's no direct train from Edinburgh to Southampton, but you will only have to change once. The trains you will typically take on this route will be Virgin Trains from Edinburgh to Wolverhampton and CrossCountry from Wolverhampton to Southampton Central.
Each table features a power socket if travelling with Virgin Trains. There's free WiFi if you travel in First Class and 15 minutes of complimentary WiFi if you sit in Standard (unlimited WiFi can be purchased in Standard for a small charge).
All Virgin Trains have a buffet car called The Foodbar, usually located either in coach J or H, where you can purchase hot and cold food and drink throughout the day. On most journeys, you can also enjoy a full drinks menu and trolley service. If you travel in First Class, food and drink are complimentary but subject to availability. Quiet Coaches are available on most Virgin Trains. Noise must be kept to a minimum, with restrictions on mobile phone calls.
Most CrossCountry trains offer WiFi on board. Passengers travelling in Standard must pay a small charge to use it, while the service is complimentary in First Class. A buffet car is also available for passengers to buy food and drink during the journey, if not, then there'll be an at-seat trolley service. You can also take your bike with you free of charge, but we advise you to book a space in advance or, if you prefer, at a station before you travel.
Route information from Edinburgh to Southampton
Starting your journey from Edinburgh, we recommend taking Virgin Trains' western route, as you'll be blown away by the outstanding natural beauty of the Lake District, the Peak District and the Yorkshire Dales, some of the best scenery in the north of England. Make sure you grab a window seat and have your camera ready to capture some stunning shots.
After taking the CrossCountry train from Wolverhampton, you'll quickly move to the South of England and stop by Oxford, the home of the oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of the fastest growing and most diverse cities in the UK.
A few stops later and you'll be in Winchester, where you'll have the chance to admire the South Downs National Park, one of the many scenic sights en route to Southampton.
Things do in Southampton
There's plenty to see and do in Southampton, from fabulous art galleries and museums to miles of shops. Whatever your mood, this port city has an activity or attraction that's right for you.
The Tudor House and Garden is Southampton's most important historic building, encompassing over 900 years of history. Located in Southampton's Old Town, you'll learn all you need to know about the life of the former residents of the house through free audio guides.
If you're an art lover, don't miss your chance to visit the Southampton City Art Gallery, which tells you the story of western art from the Renaissance period to the present day. Its main focus is on the 20th century and British contemporary art, but new exhibitions are always introduced in order to ensure that the visitor has a different experience with each visit.
Last but not least, visit the SS Shieldhall, the largest working steam ship in Britain. Here you'll experience the golden age of steam and learn more about the life of the people connected with the ship, which now represents a tribute to Britain's maritime heritage.
How long does it take to travel from Edinburgh to Southampton Central by train?
The average journey time between Edinburgh and Southampton Central is . On an average weekday, there are 3 trains travelling from Edinburgh to Southampton Central. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.Avg. Duration
What is the fastest journey from Edinburgh to Southampton Central by train?
The fastest journey time by train is .
How much does the train from Edinburgh to Southampton Central cost?
Train tickets from Edinburgh to Southampton Central can start from as little as £51 when you book in advance and are usually more expensive when purchased on the day. Prices can also vary depending the time of day, route and class you book.
Are there direct trains from Edinburgh to Southampton Central?
Yes, it is possible to travel from Edinburgh to Southampton Central without having to change trains. Use our journey planner above to get direct train times from Edinburgh to Southampton Central.Direct
What is the distance between Edinburgh and Southampton Central?
The distance between Edinburgh and Southampton Central is 356 miles.Distance: 356 miles
What time is the first train from Edinburgh to Southampton Central?
The first train from Edinburgh to Southampton Central departs at .
What time is the last train from Edinburgh to Southampton Central?
The last train from Edinburgh to Southampton Central departs at .First trainLast trainNo sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays; use the Journey Planner above to search for a specific train on your chosen travel date.
If you're like us, you've probably seen the sheer number of ticket types available in the UK and wondered ''Why are there so many?!'' Well, luckily we've put together a handy guide to all the variations of train ticket you may encounter on your travels.Our guide to ticket types:*Please note that not all types of train tickets are available for every journey. Factors such as the time, date and train company you'll be using can affect the availability of each one.
Find journey information for Southampton Central to Edinburgh