- on timeLondon VictoriaPlatform 2 estimated05:12London VictoriaPlatform 2 estimated06:44FavershamPlatform 3 estimated06:52FavershamPlatform 1 estimated07:23MargatePlatform 1 estimatedMargatePlatform 1 estimatedPeak
- on timeLondon VictoriaPlatform 2 estimated05:42London VictoriaPlatform 2 estimated07:16FavershamPlatform 3 estimated07:23FavershamPlatform 1 estimated07:54MargatePlatform 1 estimatedMargatePlatform 1 estimatedPeak
- London VictoriaPlatform 5 estimated06:12London VictoriaPlatform 5 estimated07:44FavershamPlatform 3 estimated07:52FavershamPlatform 1 estimated08:23MargatePlatform 1 estimatedMargatePlatform 1 estimatedPeak
- London St Pancras InternationalPlatform 11 estimatedMargatePlatform 4 estimated0 changesPeak
- London St Pancras InternationalPlatform 12 estimatedMargatePlatform 1 estimated0 changesPeak
- London St Pancras InternationalPlatform 11 estimatedMargatePlatform 3 estimated0 changesPeak
- London VictoriaPlatform 4 estimatedMargatePlatform 1 estimated0 changesPeak
- London St Pancras InternationalPlatform 12 estimatedMargatePlatform 4 estimated0 changesPeak
- London St Pancras InternationalPlatform 13 estimatedMargatePlatform 1 estimated0 changesPeak
- London St Pancras InternationalPlatform 12 estimatedMargatePlatform 3 estimated0 changesPeak
A day trip to Margate from London
The coastal town of Margate has seen a surge in popularity in recent years following the opening of its famous Turner Contemporary Gallery and the regeneration of the popular Dreamland Amusement Park. Situated just 75 miles outside of London and on the scenic east-coast of Kent, Margate is a destination favoured by day-trippers from London.
High-speed trains connect the city with the seaside town via a direct route from either London Victoria or London St Pancras International, with the St. Pancras International services running on the HS1 high-speed line at up to 140mph on Southeastern’s Javelin trains. Depending on the time of travel and the departure station, the train takes between 90 minutes to 2 hours. Once you leave the station you will be just a few metres away from the beach and the sea.What to do when you get there?
In the summer, Margate’s Main Sands beach is a popular sandy beach with a tidal pool, children’s rides and seaside amusements. Independent shops, restaurants and cafes line the seafront and streets in the old town which makes Margate the perfect place for a stroll on a sunny afternoon or a family day out.
Just fifteen-minutes along the beachfront is the famous Turner Contemporary art gallery. Margate's contemporary art gallery opened in 2011 to commemorate the connection famous British painter J.M.W. Turner had with the town. You can find a wide array of temporary exhibitions by household names like Duchamp, Hockney and Rodin plus regular events. The gallery is one of Margate's most popular attractions and has contributed to the towns reputation as a hip and trendy destination. Several museums such as the Tudor House, the Shell Grotto and the Margate Museum are also located within walking distance from the station and make a great attraction for a family day out.
How long does it take to travel from London to Margate by train?
The average journey time between London and Margate is . The fastest journey time is . On an average weekday, there are 72 trains per day travelling from London to Margate. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.Avg. Duration
Are there direct trains from London to Margate?
Yes, it is possible to travel from London to Margate without having to change trains. Use our journey planner above to get direct train times from London to Margate.Direct
What is the distance between London and Margate?
The distance between London and Margate is 65 miles.Distance: 65 miles
What time is the first train from London to Margate?
The first train from London to Margate departs at .
What time is the last train from London to Margate?
The last train from London to Margate departs at .First trainLast trainNo sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays; use the Journey Planner above to search for a specific train on your chosen travel date.
If you're like us, you've probably seen the sheer number of ticket types available in the UK and wondered ''Why are there so many?!'' Well, luckily we've put together a handy guide to all the variations of train ticket you may encounter on your travels.Our guide to ticket types:*Please note that not all types of train tickets are available for every journey. Factors such as the time, date and train company you'll be using can affect the availability of each one.
Find journey information for Margate to London