- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 9 estimated16:52Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 9 estimated20:00CrewePlatform 5 estimated20:10CrewePlatform 5 estimated23:07Cardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedon timeCardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedOff Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 417:07Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 422:50Cheltenham SpaPlatform 1 estimated23:00Cheltenham SpaPlatform 1 estimated00:35Cardiff CentralPlatform 3A estimatedon timeCardiff CentralPlatform 3A estimatedOff Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8 estimated18:52Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8 estimated21:59CrewePlatform 5 estimated22:13CrewePlatform 5 estimated23:02ShrewsburyPlatform 7B estimated23:09ShrewsburyPlatform 5 estimated01:18Cardiff CentralPlatform 4A estimatedon timeCardiff CentralPlatform 4A estimatedOff Peak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated20:11Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated23:24Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 13 estimated23:50Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 11 estimated00:40CrewePlatform 5 estimated04:49CrewePlatform 12 estimated07:49Cardiff CentralPlatform 2 estimatedon timeCardiff CentralPlatform 2 estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated22:13Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated01:42Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 13 estimated06:29Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 13 estimated09:59Cardiff CentralPlatform 3B estimatedon timeCardiff CentralPlatform 3B estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 14 estimated23:45Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 14 estimated00:33Glasgow Queen StreetPlatform 7 estimated00:33Glasgow Queen Street04:28Glasgow Central04:28Glasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimated06:54Preston (Lancs)Platform 4 estimated07:18Preston (Lancs)Platform 4 estimated07:57CrewePlatform 5 estimated08:09CrewePlatform 6 estimated10:38Cardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedCardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 14 estimated23:45Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 14 estimated00:33Glasgow Queen StreetPlatform 7 estimated00:33Glasgow Queen Street05:49Glasgow Central05:49Glasgow CentralPlatform 3 estimated08:57CrewePlatform 5 estimated09:08CrewePlatform 6 estimated11:37Cardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedCardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8 estimated06:52Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8 estimated09:57CrewePlatform 5 estimated10:08CrewePlatform 6 estimated12:39Cardiff CentralPlatform 3A estimatedCardiff CentralPlatform 3A estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 19 estimated07:00Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 19 estimated11:27Birmingham New StreetPlatform 10A estimated11:42Birmingham New StreetPlatform 2A estimated12:54Bristol ParkwayPlatform 2 estimated13:09Bristol ParkwayPlatform 2 estimated13:46Cardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedCardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 11 estimated07:10Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 11 estimated13:31Bristol ParkwayPlatform 2 estimated13:44Bristol ParkwayPlatform 2 estimated14:21Cardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedCardiff CentralPlatform 3 estimatedPeak
Journey information from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central
- Train Fares from: £32
- Fastest route:
- Slowest route:
- Average journey time:
- Changes: 1 to 4
Travelling from Edinburgh to Cardiff by train
There are no direct trains running from Edinburgh to Cardiff. You have different travel options with up to three changes needed, with the quickest route being from Edinburgh to Birmingham New Street, changing there for a train to Cardiff Central.
If taking the quickest route, you'll travel with CrossCountry or Virgin Trains.
CrossCountry trains all come with a First Class option. There's a buffet car on most trains, if not, then there will be a buffet cart providing at-seat service. Most CrossCountry trains on this route feature a Quiet Coach and there's free WiFi if you travel in First Class with a small fee for those in Standard.
All Virgin trains feature a buffet car called The Foodbar, usually located either in coach J or H. Here, you can purchase hot and cold food and drink throughout the day. On most journeys, you'll also find a full drinks menu and an at-seat trolley service. If you travel in First Class, the food and drink are complimentary but subject to availability.
Route information from Edinburgh to Cardiff
The first train takes you from Edinburgh Waverley, down through the Scottish Lowlands and into the North of England. After moving through Carlisle, you'll soon pass two of England's most famous national parks, the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales. As you continue further south, you'll soon reach the Midlands and finally Birmingham New Street, where you make your change to a CrossCountry train to Cardiff.
Leaving Birmingham, you'll travel through Cheltenham Spa, home to the world-famous Cheltenham Festival, one of the biggest horse-racing events in the world. You'll then finally cross the Welsh border as you call at Chepstow (another famous horse-racing town) before arriving at Cardiff Central.
Things to do in Cardiff
Make sure to visit Cardiff Castle, an unmissable tourist attraction. Get a close look at the impressive art collection of the National Museum, or delight your taste buds at one of the four regular farmers' markets in Cardiff. If you happen to be there when the Welsh international team are playing Rugby, try and grab a ticket, it's an atmosphere and experience not to be missed.
How long does it take to travel from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central by train?
The average journey time between Edinburgh and Cardiff Central is . The fastest journey time is . On an average weekday, there are 32 trains per day travelling from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.Avg. Duration
Are there direct trains from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central?
No, it is not possible to travel from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central without having to change trains. Use our journey planner above to get direct train times from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central.No direct trains possible
What is the distance between Edinburgh and Cardiff Central?
The distance between Edinburgh and Cardiff Central is 309 miles.Distance: 309 miles
What time is the first train from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central?
The first train from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central departs at .
What time is the last train from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central?
The last train from Edinburgh to Cardiff Central departs at .First trainLast trainNo sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays; use the Journey Planner above to search for a specific train on your chosen travel date.
If you're like us, you've probably seen the sheer number of ticket types available in the UK and wondered ''Why are there so many?!'' Well, luckily we've put together a handy guide to all the variations of train ticket you may encounter on your travels.Our guide to ticket types:*Please note that not all types of train tickets are available for every journey. Factors such as the time, date and train company you'll be using can affect the availability of each one.
Find journey information for Cardiff Central to Edinburgh