- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 19on timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 1A estimated0 changesPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 9E estimatedon timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 5A estimated0 changesPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 2 estimated19:36Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 2 estimated22:43DoncasterPlatform 3A estimated23:35DoncasterPlatform 3B estimated00:13SheffieldPlatform 8B estimated05:31SheffieldPlatform 5B estimated06:03DerbyPlatform 3 estimated06:10DerbyPlatform 1 estimated06:52Birmingham New StreetPlatform 11B estimatedBirmingham New StreetPlatform 11B estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 19 estimated21:00Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 19 estimated00:45LeedsPlatform 11 estimated06:11LeedsPlatform 15 estimated08:08Birmingham New StreetPlatform 11 estimatedBirmingham New StreetPlatform 11 estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated22:13Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated01:43Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 13 estimated05:11Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 6 estimated06:57Birmingham New StreetPlatform 1A estimatedBirmingham New StreetPlatform 1A estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 11 estimated05:40Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 11 estimated07:02NewcastlePlatform 4 estimated07:25NewcastlePlatform 2 estimated10:27Birmingham New StreetPlatform 10A estimatedBirmingham New StreetPlatform 10A estimatedPeak
- Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 11 estimatedBirmingham New StreetPlatform 11 estimated0 changesPeak
- Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8 estimated06:52Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8 estimated10:33WolverhamptonPlatform 2 estimated10:41WolverhamptonPlatform 3 estimated10:58Birmingham New StreetPlatform 2A estimatedBirmingham New StreetPlatform 2A estimatedPeak
- Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8 estimatedBirmingham New StreetPlatform 1 estimated0 changesPeak
- Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 19 estimatedBirmingham New StreetPlatform 10A estimated0 changesPeak
Travelling from Edinburgh to Birmingham by train
From Edinburgh Waverley there's a direct train to Birmingham New Street operated by Virgin Trains.
All Virgin Trains offer WiFi (complimentary in First Class) and can carry up to four bikes free of charge, a service that has to be reserved in advance. All services offer First Class seating, with upgrades available on weekends and bank holidays.
To learn more, visit our Virgin Trains page for more information about their onboard services.
Alternatively, you can take the same Virgin Trains service from Edinburgh and change onto a CrossCountry service, which will get you to Birmingham New Street slightly quicker.
Route information from Edinburgh to Birmingham
Leaving Edinburgh Waverley station, the Virgin Trains journey takes you through the Scottish Lowlands, past Carlisle and into the North of England. Passing the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales as you head further south, along with the industrial towns of Preston, Wigan and Crewe. As you travel past Wolverhampton, you'll next enter Birmingham, before arriving at New Street station.
Things to do in Birmingham
Birmingham is the second biggest city in the United Kingdom and has plenty to offer for the curious explorer.
The city's canals started the industrial revolution in the 19th-century. Boat trips take you along the City Heritage route, covering both the original James Brindley canal and Sir Thomas Telford’s.
The library of Birmingham is a great place to visit for book lovers. Opened in 2013, this amazing building has 10 levels, including one dedicated to Shakespeare.
Travellers interested in arts can visit an exhibition at the Midlands Art Centre (MAC), an arts complex specialised in contemporary theatre, dance and independent cinema.
Alternatively, you can escape the city centre and head to the Botanical Gardens. Opened 200 years ago, Birmingham Botanical Gardens cover everything from deserts to tropical rainforests. In the evening, why not check out the oldest working cinema in the UK? First opened in 1909, Birmingham´s Electric Cinema is well-worth a visit.
How long does it take to travel from Edinburgh to Birmingham by train?
The average journey time between Edinburgh and Birmingham is . The fastest journey time is . On an average weekday, there are 21 trains per day travelling from Edinburgh to Birmingham. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.Avg. Duration
Are there direct trains from Edinburgh to Birmingham?
Yes, it is possible to travel from Edinburgh to Birmingham without having to change trains. Use our journey planner above to get direct train times from Edinburgh to Birmingham.Direct
What is the distance between Edinburgh and Birmingham?
The distance between Edinburgh and Birmingham is 245 miles.Distance: 245 miles
What time is the first train from Edinburgh to Birmingham?
The first train from Edinburgh to Birmingham departs at .
What time is the last train from Edinburgh to Birmingham?
The last train from Edinburgh to Birmingham departs at .First trainLast trainNo sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays; use the Journey Planner above to search for a specific train on your chosen travel date.
If you're like us, you've probably seen the sheer number of ticket types available in the UK and wondered ''Why are there so many?!'' Well, luckily we've put together a handy guide to all the variations of train ticket you may encounter on your travels.Our guide to ticket types:*Please note that not all types of train tickets are available for every journey. Factors such as the time, date and train company you'll be using can affect the availability of each one.
Find journey information for Birmingham to Edinburgh
Did you know you could also travel from Edinburgh to Birmingham by bus? Find out more about that journey here.