- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated12:12Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated14:45Preston (Lancs)Platform 6 estimated15:00Preston (Lancs)Platform 6 estimated15:43CrewePlatform 5 estimated15:54CrewePlatform 5 estimated16:51Birmingham New StreetPlatform 4B estimatedon timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 4B estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated12:12Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated14:45Preston (Lancs)Platform 6 estimated15:18Preston (Lancs)Platform 4 estimated17:05Birmingham New StreetPlatform 2 estimatedon timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 2 estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 1412:15Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 1413:05Glasgow Queen StreetPlatform 413:05Glasgow Queen Street13:37Glasgow Central13:37Glasgow CentralPlatform 1 estimated16:42CrewePlatform 5 estimated16:53CrewePlatform 5 estimated17:50Birmingham New StreetPlatform 4B estimatedon timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 4B estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 8E estimatedon timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 12B estimated0 changesPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated14:12Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated16:48Preston (Lancs)Platform 6 estimated17:17Preston (Lancs)Platform 5 estimated18:33WolverhamptonPlatform 4 estimated18:41WolverhamptonPlatform 3 estimated18:57Birmingham New StreetPlatform 1A estimatedon timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 1A estimatedPeak
- on timeEdinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated18:11Edinburgh (Waverley)Platform 10 estimated21:24Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 13 estimated22:07Manchester PiccadillyPlatform 5 estimated23:37Birmingham New StreetPlatform 4M estimatedon timeBirmingham New StreetPlatform 4M estimatedPeak
Journey information from Edinburgh to Birmingham
- Train Fares from: £18.50
- Fastest route:
- Slowest route:
- Average journey time:
- Changes: Direct
Travelling from Edinburgh to Birmingham by train
From Edinburgh Waverley there's a direct train to Birmingham New Street operated by Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains).
All Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains) offer WiFi (complimentary in First Class) and can carry up to four bikes free of charge, a service that has to be reserved in advance. All services offer First Class seating, with upgrades available on weekends and bank holidays.
Alternatively, you can take the same Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains) service from Edinburgh and change onto a CrossCountry service, which will get you to Birmingham New Street slightly quicker.
Route information from Edinburgh to Birmingham
Leaving Edinburgh Waverley station, the Avanti West Coast (formerly Virgin Trains) journey takes you through the Scottish Lowlands, past Carlisle and into the North of England. Passing the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales as you head further south, along with the industrial towns of Preston, Wigan and Crewe. As you travel past Wolverhampton, you'll next enter Birmingham, before arriving at New Street station.
Things to do in Birmingham
Birmingham is the second biggest city in the United Kingdom and has plenty to offer for the curious explorer.
The city's canals started the industrial revolution in the 19th-century. Boat trips take you along the City Heritage route, covering both the original James Brindley canal and Sir Thomas Telford’s.
The library of Birmingham is a great place to visit for book lovers. Opened in 2013, this amazing building has 10 levels, including one dedicated to Shakespeare.
Travellers interested in arts can visit an exhibition at the Midlands Art Centre (MAC), an arts complex specialised in contemporary theatre, dance and independent cinema.
Alternatively, you can escape the city centre and head to the Botanical Gardens. Opened 200 years ago, Birmingham Botanical Gardens cover everything from deserts to tropical rainforests. In the evening, why not check out the oldest working cinema in the UK? First opened in 1909, Birmingham´s Electric Cinema is well-worth a visit.
How long does it take to travel from Edinburgh to Birmingham by train?
The average journey time between Edinburgh and Birmingham is . On an average weekday, there are 49 trains travelling from Edinburgh to Birmingham. The journey time may be longer on weekends and holidays.Avg. Duration
What is the fastest journey from Edinburgh to Birmingham by train?
The fastest journey time by train is .
How much does the train from Edinburgh to Birmingham cost?
Train tickets from Edinburgh to Birmingham can start from as little as £18.50 when you book in advance and are usually more expensive when purchased on the day. Prices can also vary depending the time of day, route and class you book.
Are there direct trains from Edinburgh to Birmingham?
Yes, it is possible to travel from Edinburgh to Birmingham without having to change trains. Use our journey planner above to get direct train times from Edinburgh to Birmingham.Direct
What is the distance between Edinburgh and Birmingham?
The distance between Edinburgh and Birmingham is 245 miles.Distance: 245 miles
What time is the first train from Edinburgh to Birmingham?
The first train from Edinburgh to Birmingham departs at .
What time is the last train from Edinburgh to Birmingham?
The last train from Edinburgh to Birmingham departs at .First trainLast trainNo sleeper services are available. There may also be fewer services on weekends and public holidays; use the Journey Planner above to search for a specific train on your chosen travel date.
If you're like us, you've probably seen the sheer number of ticket types available in the UK and wondered ''Why are there so many?!'' Well, luckily we've put together a handy guide to all the variations of train ticket you may encounter on your travels.Our guide to ticket types:*Please note that not all types of train tickets are available for every journey. Factors such as the time, date and train company you'll be using can affect the availability of each one.
If you’re looking for the return train journey, check out trains from Birmingham to Edinburgh.