When the hamlet of Winchmore Hill was first recorded in 1319, its main industry was selling firewood sourced from the oak forests nearby. By the early 1800s a small community had developed, and when rail arrived in the village in 1871 grand development was predicted. But it wasn't until the early years of the 20th century that the village eventually developed into a London suburb - aided by the introduction of a tramway. The station itself was originally identical to the station at Palmers Green but underwent renovation throughout the 1960s and 70s. Today, the station lies in Zone 4, just eight miles north from Moorgate on the Hertford Loop Line.
Modern Winchmore Hill retains a villagey feel, with shops and restaurants gathered around the Green, which is now a Conservation Area. Also worth a look are Grovelands Park, laid out by the great landscape designer Humphry Repton in the late 18th century, and the Art Deco Capitol Cinema.