West Kirby station, which dates back to 1873, is the westernmost terminal on the Wirral Line. Just a five-minute walk from the station down Dee Lane takes visitors to the beach, South Parade and the geographically interesting salt-water marine lake on the town's shore.
With its award-winning beaches (it's the nearest station to West Kirby beach) catering for all levels from professionals to amateurs, it's little surprise that West Kirby is a hotspot for water-sports enthusiasts. But the famous links course between West Kirby and Hoylake, the Royal Liverpool Golf Club, has hosted an amazing 11 British Open Golf championships, drawing golf lovers, too.
Right in the thick of it and surrounded by shops, bars, and restaurants, the station's buildings were reconstructed in the late 1800s, with the original station the site of The Concourse, a community institute operated by Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council. In 1938, an Art Deco-style platform canopy was added, but, otherwise, most of the Victorian station's building survives.
Access to the station is through one of two entrances in the redbrick station on Grange Road, both lead into the large, open concourse with a ticket counter directly ahead. Beyond the concourse are the two canopied platforms have share open-air seating and payphones. The station has a drop-off point for cars and a cycle rack, but as the station is in the middle of the town, with a parade of shops built around it, there are few other amenities.