Designed by the architect William Tress, Wadhurst station in East Sussex was built in 1851. Tress was also responsible for other stations along the line and created many of these functional railway buildings in a domestic style - a common ploy in the 19th century to try to make the new railways less frightening and overwhelming to local potential passengers. There's clear evidence of this style at Wadhurst, where the station looks little more threatening than like a neat, homely Victorian villa.
The centre of Wadhurst is about a mile and a half away up the hill. It takes about seven minutes on the 254 bus, which departs once an hour from opposite the station on the main road. The usual off-peak service from Wadhurst is two trains per hour northbound to London Charing Cross via Tunbridge Wells and two southbound to Hastings.