Twyford station in Berkshire lies between Reading and London Paddington on the Great Western Main Line, and is the south terminus of the line's Henley branch. Trains first arrived in here in 1839, and some signs of older buildings still remain - look out for the chimney on the island between platforms 2 and 3. The rest of the station dates back to 1989.
A large village with a population of just 7,000 people, Twyford can trace its roots back to Anglo-Saxon times, when it was named after two fords crossing the River Loddon. It remained a rural settlement until the arrival of rail, which set off a wave of residential development in the area. Still, much of the countryside charm survives, with a small delicatessen, a tennis club, a bowls club and a badminton club - the oldest in Britain, no less - all a short walk from the station.