UntitledCreated with Sketch. UntitledCreated with Sketch. footer-accordion icon-twitter logo-trainline

Trains to Swansea

Originally known as Swansea High Street, Swansea station is the first and last of seven rail hubs that once served the south Wales city. Opened in 1850, the Chepstow-to-Swansea line was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel; it was redeveloped in 1879 and again in 1923 when the platform canopies were installed. They still provide shelter from the drizzle nearly a century later. In 2012 another much-needed facelift, £7.6 million worth, was completed. With concourse remodelled and a glass partition inserted towards the back of the station passengers no longer have to deal with problematic draft and can enjoy the flood of natural light across the platforms. The words 'Ambition is critical' are inscribed at the threshold of the station's entrance. They're part of the 1990's Swansea council initiative which commissioned local artists to produce poems for landmarks in the town. Poet David Hughes' optimistic lines are a witty retort to Swansea's nickname: the 'Graveyard of ambition'. The station is situated a mile from the main Quadrant shopping centre.

Station details & facilities

The station has four platforms, all with step-free access. There are self-service ticket machines, but the station is also staffed full time. The station has a small cafe, and a WHSmith is located at the front of the station. Cycle storage and disabled parking are also at the front of the station's sole entrance. All toilets are located on platform 1.

03:54

London Paddington

Great Western Railway

Plat. 2

On time

04:58

London Paddington

Great Western Railway

Plat. 3

On time