It is fair to say that the town of Sutton is a product of the railways. Before the opening of the station by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway in 1847, Sutton was little more than a village. Within ten years, the population had doubled, and the appealing Victorian architecture of the High Street and its surroundings reflect the rapid growth of that period. The current station – at the southern end of the High Street – was built in the 1930s, and its red brickwork and neat lines echo the between-the-wars station architecture of Southern Railways. The central area of Sutton, north of the station, has a number of restaurants, bars and pubs, including The Winning Post. Formerly known as The Red Lion, this was the venue for some of the Rolling Stones’ earliest gigs, and the place where Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman joined the band.
The station building has a ticket counter and a branch of M&S Food To Go. There are ticket machines outside the front door. All four platforms can be reached via a bridge, with lifts for step-free access. Waiting rooms with toilets can be found on platform 1 and between platforms 2 and 3. There is a further waiting room on platform 4. On platform 1 is a Starbucks, with a Pumpkin Café between platforms 2 and 3.