Formerly know as Scunthorpe & Frodingham, Scunthorpe station as we know it today was built in 1928 to replace the previous Frodingham station, which was opened in 1864. Scunthorpe serves two main routes, with eastbound services toward Grimsby and Cleethorpes, and westbound services towards Manchester, provided by both First TransPennine Express and Northern Rail.
The station site lies to the west of the old steelworks, which were the lifeblood of the town until the decision to close the mines in 1981. To this day Scunthorpe sits atop millions of tonnes of ore. The town’s main shopping and entertainment area is about 10 minutes’ walk northeast of the station, with most big-name retailers in the Parishes and Foundry centres. On the opposite side of the station lies the attractive Central Park, and there is pleasant countryside in the surrounding area, with the popular Normanby Hall Country Park to the north, and the Humber estuary to the east.