Trains to Paddock Wood glide through the oast houses and orchards of the Kent countryside before coming to rest in this delightful station, which dates back to 1842. Situated between London and Dover, the station was originally known as Maidstone Road, after the main road connecting the capital to the coast. Passengers gave it the nickname Paddock Wood, taken from the woodland through which the line was built, and the rail company soon came round to their way of thinking - the name was officially changed in 1844. The redbrick, Italianate original station remains today.
The arrival of rail had a profound impact on the area, opening up transport routes to London and beyond for local fruit growers and hop farmers. Today the fields surrounding the town still send produce to supermarkets, microbreweries and cider makers across the country. The town itself has a lovely selection of independent shops, including the 120-year old family run department store of Barsleys, situated a short distance from the station.