The Grade II listed Oakham station is one of the finest surviving examples of Victorian railway architecture. Built in 1847 in the Italianate style, the red-brick dressing, Welsh slate roof and arched windows is a sight to behold, as are the decorative ironwork canopies on both platforms. Before the arrival of rail, the Melton Mowbray and Oakham Canal was the main supplier of goods in and out of the town, but it was bought up and filled in by the Midland Railway to make way for the rail line, which replaced it as the town's key transport hub. Today, the station serves the Birmingham-to-Peterborough Line, with trains from Oakham running regularly to Birmingham, Leicester and Stansted Airport. Oakham's main draw is a number of historical tourist attractions including the 14th-century All Saints' Church, with its piercing spire, and the Norman fort of Oakham Castle with its 12th-century hall. The open-air market every Wednesday and Saturday is also worth a visit. To the west of Oakham lies Rutland Water, one of the world's largest man-made lakes.
Oakham station is accessible from car parks on either side. The main entrance leads into the ticket office and on to the canopied platform 1, and the other entrance, from Stamford Road, leads directly on to platform 2. There is ramp access throughout and the platforms are connected via a footbridge. There is covered cycle storage and an enclosed waiting room on platform 1, and bench seating throughout. Taxis pull up near the ticket office on Station Road.