Mottingham station is between the suburban villages of Mottingham and Eltham in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, south-east London. The station was first opened in 1866 and today's station retains some of the original structures, with additions from refurbishments in 1957 and 1988.
Arriving in leafy Mottingham, trains pull past the 1930's art deco Eltham Palace estate with its medieval hall, ornamental gardens and play areas, and the Royal Blackheath Golf Club. The idyllic bird sanctuary and nature reserve, The Tarn is also just to the north of the station. It's hard to believe, perhaps, that the station's regular services for London Cannon Street via Lewisham from platform 1 and Gravesend from platform 2 take little more than 25 minutes.
Mottingham station is set back from Court Road, which leads to both Eltham high street to the north and Mottingham high street to the south, both heaving with an eclectic mix of bars, shops and restaurants.