Motherwell's name comes from an ancient religious well called the Mother's Well, named after the Virgin Mary. The well's location is marked by a plaque on Ladywell Road, which leads to Motherwell station. When rail arrived here in 1848, Motherwell was a relatively small farming community of some 1700 people, so the station's construction propelled Motherwell into a new era, as industry and wealth flooded in, particularly from the 1881 addition of an iron and steel works. By the 20th century, Motherwell was Scotland's steel-production capital, with a population of 37,000, and the steelworks continued to be a major employer until it's decline in the 1980s.
The current station dates back to the 1970s and is an important interchange station, with trains travelling to Glasgow Central in less than 15 minutes, and heading south to London. Situated in the centre of town, the station is right next door to the North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre, which details the town's Roman and steel roots. Motherwell Cathedral and the Motherwell Concert Hall are also worth investigating.