Situated on the edge of the Peak District and originally known as Matlock Bridge, the Grade II listed Matlock station dates back to 1849 - having been originally designed by renowned architect Sir Joseph Paxton. Officially opened in 1850, the station operated with a single platform for many years until the original platform 2 was finally reopened in 2011.
As well as regular East Midland Trains services to and from Nottingham, the station also continues to run the Derwent Valley Line and Peak Rail heritage services from Derby and to Rowsley South.
In recent years, the station has become somewhat of a trade-and-transport hub for the town of Matlock. Recent development works have seen a new retail superstore and housing estate open in the nearby Cawdor Quarry, while the bus station has been repositioned adjacent to the station to provide easier transport links further afield.