The current small Victorian red-brick station at Long Eaton dates back to 1888, but the railway first arrived in 1839, contributing to the growth of the town and building an important industry in railway wagon manufacturing. Like many parts of this region, the area was also renowned as a centre for the lace-making industry. The River Trent flows just to the south of Long Eaton, and Trent Lock, about a mile from the station, is popular for boating and sailing. The main shopping streets are just over a mile northeast of the station, a 25-minute walk along Tamworth Road or 7 minutes on the bus.
Long Eaton is served by trains on the Midland Main Line and the Derby to Nottingham line, with regular services to Nottingham, London St Pancras International, Derby, Birmingham New Street, Sheffield and Matlock. The usual journey time to London is just over 90 minutes.