The history of Llandudno goes back to the early Stone Age with the huge Great Orme copper mine providing prosperity for the best part of 4000 years until its exhaustion in the 1850s. Mining, farming and fishing were the main industries throughout the 1800s until Liverpool architect Owen Williams proposed turning the town into a Victorian seaside holiday resort, and, in 1847, the town’s owners, the Mostyn Family, happily obliged.
The train station followed in 1858 and people flooded to the town, so much so that the original station was extended to cope with numbers. The current station is the same one that underwent a facelift in 1892. Over the years, Llandudno’s place on the tourist resort map has slightly faded, and today the town is mostly known as an entertainment and shopping venue with Parc Llandudno retail park and Venue Cymru conference centre and theatre a few minutes’ walk from the station.