Home to two of Scotland's greats, Robert Burns and William Wallace, the town of Irvine in North Ayrshire has undergone two enormous regeneration projects in living memory. Just as some of the original building survive in the town, behind the station's glass-fronted entrance is a ticket hall that echoes its very-early Victorian beginnings. Opened in the summer of 1839 as part of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway, the station saw little change for over 100 years, until a major refurbishment in 1965 coincided with the electrification of the line.
Today, the station runs four trains per hour to Glasgow Central in the north, and the same number towards Ayr in the south, and there is a half-hourly service in each direction on Sundays.
Irvine itself, sitting on a bay in the Firth of Clyde, is a popular shopping destination, with its Rivergate shopping centre home to over 50 high street brands, and draws the golfers with several golf courses within half-an-hour's drive.