Huntingdon station lies to the west of the town on the banks of the River Great Ouse. All the way back to Roman times, it was used as an important crossing point for travel between London, Lincoln and York, and the medieval arched stone bridge - known as Old Bridge - stands to this day. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Huntingdon grew into a coaching town thanks to it being an important staging post on the Great North Road. Trains first came to Huntingdon in 1850 when it was a stop on the Great North Railway between London and York. Now Huntingdon station is on the East Coast Main Line with services every half hour to London King's Cross and Peterborough. Trains into London take around an hour (extra services during peak times are faster), and it's 15 minutes to Peterborough, where passengers can connect with fast trains north. Huntingdon town centre is about ten minutes' walk from the station, with the Old Bridge and Riverside Park a little further on.
There are entrances to Huntingdon station from both sides, each with pay-and-display car parks, cycle storage and ticket machines. The main entrance with ticket counter, cafe, toilets and taxi rank outside is on the London-bound side - platform 2. Peterborough services depart from platform 3. There is step-free access at both entrances and between the platforms via lifts and a pedestrian bridge. Directly outside the main entrance, you can catch the bus to the town centre, Godmanchester and St Ives.