Trains to Horsham have called at the West Sussex town since 1848, but the station that welcomes travellers today was built by the Southern Railway as part of the electrification of the London, Brighton and South Coast line in 1938. Designed in the International Style of architecture, the red-brick building with modernist touches was listed in 1996. Visitors emerge from the station onto North Street, from where it is a ten-minute walk to the town centre, past the Capitol Theatre and the southern reaches of Horsham Park.
A market town since medieval times, Horsham grew in prosperity during the Industrial Revolution thanks to brewing, iron-smelting and printing, and the most important economic drivers today are pharmaceuticals and financial services. The focal point of the town centre is the pedestrianised Carfax, with numerous shops and restaurants, a Saturday market, and a band stand for live music performances during the summer months.