Highams Park station is in the borough of Waltham Forest in northeast London, in Travelcard Zone 4. The station opened in 1873 as Hale End, becoming Highams Park and Hale End in 1894. In 1900 a rebuild created the attractive brick buildings that passengers arrive at today, and the name was shortened to simply Highams Park.
It was largely thanks to the new station that Highams Park grew into a thriving suburb of London. Residential development sprung up in its wake, with estates to the east of the area developed by landowner Edward Warner, a close friend of the then prime minister William Gladstone. By the 20th century a number of factories, schools and churches had been built in the town - leisure facilities followed, with a cinema in 1911 and the Regal Snooker Hall in 1935. Today, it's a fully-fledged commuter town, with a station that takes locals to London Liverpool Street in just 20 minutes.