Grenta Green station lies in the small border town of Gretna in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. The station was opened as Gretna in 1848, not gaining its 'Green' until 1852. Later years saw it bounce back from a closure of nearly four decades - having been closed and sold by the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway in 1955, it was officially re-opened by British Rail in September 1993, before being expanded in 2008.
Today the station sees fifteen departures on weekdays and twenty on weekends, heading north to Glasgow via Dumfries, and east to Newcastle via Carlisle.
Gretna developed a reputation for runaway marriages in the 18th and 19th centuries, and the wedding industry remains strong today - the area hosts some 5,000 unions a year. For those not looking to tie the knot, Gretna Gateway outlet village is just a few minutes from the station and home to a host of fashion outlets.