Enfield was a popular market town as far back as 1303, but up until the early 19th century its main link with the outside world was a horse-drawn bus to Bishopsgate. Even the arrival of the Lea Valley Railway in this part of north London didn't help - the line bypassed Enfield, and it wasn't until 1849 that a small branch line linked the town to the rail network. Given a facelift in 1957, the modern building acts as the London Overground terminus for trains from Liverpool Street.
A spike of suburban development, particularly on London Road and Essex Road, began shortly after the station opened, and the town would expand exponentially right up to WW2. Nowadays, 21st century Enfield Town is a rich mix of new and old, with St Andrew's Church and property hotspot Gentleman's Row alongside the Palace Gardens Shopping Precinct and the Civic Centre. It also has a literary claim to fame - Romantic poet John Keats was educated at Clarke School in Enfield.