When what is now Eastleigh station opened in 1838, the town it serves technically didn't exist at all. Instead, the station was close to the small village of Barton, and known as Bishopstoke Junction. A spate of development followed the arrival of rail, and in 1868 Barton merged with the nearby village of Eastley - the station was renamed Eastleigh and Bishopstoke in 1889, and finally became Eastleigh in 1923.
By then Eastleigh had cemented itself as a railway town, with a renowned wagon and carriage works, railway cottages and the Railway Institute. A locomotive works followed in 1909, and rail remained crucial to the town's prosperity until the 1920s, when Pirelli opened a cable factory. Today, Eastleigh has a population of 55,000 and its main attractions are the Swan Shopping Centre, Fleming Park leisure centre and The Point Theatre - it's also close to the South Downs National Park, just a few miles to the north.