The red-brick Christchurch train station serves the small town of Christchurch, the most easterly coastal town of Dorset, on the London Waterloo-to-Weymouth line. The original station was built in 1862 and was situated to the east of the current site up until 1886. Today the station operates regular services from its two covered platforms. From platform 1 travellers cross the River Stour on services to Bournemouth, Weymouth and Poole, and from platform 2 to over the River Avon London Waterloo.
Over one and a half million visitors a year make a bee-line for the town's harbour, beaches, nature reserves, as well as the ruins of the Norman motte-and-bailey Christchurch Castle and the significantly more liveable Highcliffe Castle.
The town centre is a short walk from the train station, and is home to an eclectic mix of traditional pubs, modern bars, restaurants, shops, listed buildings and modern architecture. Over the years, the town has been home to many historic figures, including John Stuart, former Prime Minister and founder of the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew.