Chippenham station lies on the main line between London and Bristol, historically the first stretch of the famous Great Western Railway, engineered by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The station building itself dates back to 1841 and was built with stone excavated from Box Tunnel to the west. Also to the west is a Grade II*-listed nine-arch viaduct, built by Brunel in the same year as the station.
Until the start of the 18th century, Chippenham was a small market town, earning the nickname 'Little Bath' after a series of Georgian houses were built along The Causeway. The arrival of rail stimulated industrial investment, and as opportunities for employment grew so too did the town. Today, Chippenham remains a highly populated residential area with several buildings of historical interest, including the medieval Yelde Hall, the town's meeting place throughout the 15th century. The nearby National Trust-protected village of Lacock can be reached by a 15-minute bus ride from the station.