Burgess Hill station dates back to 1838 when rail arrived in the then-small rural settlement of local farms. The trains changed the town's fortunes and the second half of the 19th century saw a residential boom that continues today. Burgess Hill the commuter town sees over one and half million passengers per year, and they still use the original 1877 station, although it's been renovated several times. Located on the Brighton Main Line and Thameslink, trains run to Brighton and London Victoria.
More redevelopment in the 1990s gave Burgess Hill the the Indoor Market Place Shopping Centre and the Triangle Leisure Centre, the latter opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 1999. Adding a link road connecting to the A23/M23 and hundred new homes to the west of the town meant the town's population flourished once again, breaching 28,000 residents. Burgess Hill is a great base for exploring nearby Lewes Castle and Borde Hill, both just 20 minutes bus ride away.