Although Bracknell station is hidden away beneath a glass office building, a tile mural of an 1885 London and South Western Railway steam locomotive, rises above the entrance, reminding visitors that trains have been calling at the town for over a century and a half. Indeed, Bracknell station opened in 1856 when it was a country town whose biggest claim to fame was perhaps the fact that Dick Turpin used to drink in its pubs.
Following WW2, Bracknell was designated as a new town, almost certainly because of its existing railway connections. Most of the town, including the centre, which is north of the station, dates from the second-half of the 20th century; although remnants of Old Bracknell remain, such as the 17th-century Old Manor public house and the Holy Trinity Church. A number of companies are based or have offices in the town, including the headquarters of Waitrose.