Abercynon train station is located in the South Wales town of Abercynon, linking the Merthyr and Cynon Valleys with Cardiff. It is 15.5 miles (25 km) north of Cardiff Central: a journey of 39 minutes.
The village of Abercynon was the destination for Richard Trevithick on the world’s first steam-powered railway journey on 21 February 1804. The town later became the connecting point between the Merthyr and Aberdare branches of the railway and the Glamorganshire Canal. The current Abercynon Station (originally called Navigation Road and later Abercynon South) was built in 1840 and was one of two stations that served the town until 2008. It was renamed as Abercynon train station after the closure of Abercynon North in 2008. A blue plaque can be found near the station entrance, marking the location of the workplace of trade unionist John Ewington whose landmark legal case was an important factor in the formation of the Labour Party.
Abercynon station is served by four trains every hour travelling south to Cardiff and beyond. Northbound trains stop twice an hour for Merthyr and twice an hour for Aberdare. Sunday services depart every two hours. The north and southbound trains stop on both sides of an island platform, accessed from the village by a subway and a ramp.