Our Cookies policy
Many of the features that make thetrainline.com easy to use rely on us understanding how you use our website at www.thetrainline.com or m.thetrainline.com (the "Website") and our mobile application (the "Mobile Application") and remembering the information you provide. We do this by gathering small amounts of data each time you visit. This data is stored as "cookies".
The different cookies we use at thetrainline.com
System cookies are created each time you visit us and are automatically deleted when you close your browser. They remember the fact you're logged in and remember the selections that you make as you use the Website and Mobile Application.
Identification cookies help us remember who you are when you come back to visit us and allow you to access your favourite journeys before you log in.
Tracking cookies track any information or warning messages we've shown you, so that we don't show them again. If you express preferences about whether or not to receive certain types of cookie, we'll also use a cookie to store this preference.
Web analytics / Marketing effectiveness cookies collect anonymous data to help us understand customer behaviour so we can make thetrainline.com better. They tell us which bits of the Website and Mobile Application customers use the most and flag up any problems so we can fix them quickly. They also tell us how customers find the Website and Mobile Application (for example via online adverts and search engines), so we know how effectively we are marketing.
Cookies for personalising your experience...
- ...elsewhere on the internet - these cookies allow us to understand your online behaviour and tailor your experience outside of our site. For example, the adverts you see for thetrainline.com on other websites may be specially targeted to include the routes that you have searched for on thetrainline.com.
Cookies for optimising the content shown on our website
We may wish to test a change or new feature on the site to see if it is effective before rolling it out to all our users. Cookies allow a random sample of site visitors to see it one way, and a different group another and ensure that you consistently get the same experience on repeat visits.
If you would prefer us not to set cookies on our Website, you can disable them by changing your internet browser settings. How to do this will depend on the browser you are using, but the following is a step-by-step guide to the most popular browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Click on the "Tools" menu
- Select "Internet Options"
- Click on the "Privacy" tab
- Select the desired setting
- Google Chrome:
- Click on the Customisation menu at the top right of the page
- Select "Settings"
- Select "Show Advanced Settings" and then "Content Settings"
- Select the desired settings under the "Cookies" heading.
- Mozilla Firefox:
- Click on the "Tools" menu
- Click on "Options"
- Select "Privacy"
- Choose the desired options under the "Cookie" menu.
For all other browsers, please follow the instructions provided by the relevant browser, usually located within the "Help", "Tools" or "Edit" facility.
If you only disable third party cookies, you will still be able to use this Website, but some of its content will not be as relevant to you. If you disable all cookies, this will result in our Website not working properly.
If you do choose to disable cookies, this choice will only apply to the device you are using at the time. If you want to stop cookies being set on other devices, you will need to follow the relevant steps on each device. Please note that disabling cookies does not delete cookies from your browser, you will need to do this from within your browser.
Our Mobile Application uses similar tracking to cookies as described in this cookies policy. By using our Mobile Application you understand and agree to the use of tracking as described in this cookies policy.
Some sections of our Website (for example those covering hotels, theatre, car hire, insurance and international rail) are provided by third parties.
Online Behavioural Advertising
We and those third parties may use this data to:
- help make the advertising you see on our Website and Mobile Application and elsewhere on the internet more relevant to you;
- tailor content on the Website and Mobile Application; and
- measure the effectiveness of advertising on the Website and Mobile Application.
How to opt out of third party online behavioural advertising on our Website