What is Interrail?
With the Interrail Pass, you can discover Europe by train and travel across the continent with over 40,000 stations across 10,000 destinations to discover. Experience the incredible variety of different European cultures, or travel around a single country and soak up the local ambience.
For those booking from outside Europe, please visit our Eurail page.
Already know what Interrail Pass you want?
What types of Interrail Passes are there for travel around Europe?
Which pass is best for me?
If you want to travel to one or two countries but do not want to buy the Global Pass, you can combine two One Country Passes. If you think you would like to visit three countries or more we recommend the Global Pass.
How to use your Pass?
You will receive your Interrail Pass by registered mail. In addition, you will be given a guide with information on the pass and a map of the railways.
For some trains, seat reservations are required. This is the case for overnight trains, panoramic trains and most high-speed trains, such as AVE, TGV, Thalys and Frecciarossa for example.
For these trains, you will have to make an advance reservation which will have an additional cost. Except if you own the Interrail Premium Pass (for Spain and Italy), which allows you to book your seats for free.
If you want to avoid paying a fee reservation, you can take the regional trains in each country.
There are two types of passes for the Global Pass:
Continuous: travel each day during the complete validity of your pass.
Flexi: travel for a maximum number of days within your travel period. The options are 5 days in a period of 15 days, or 7, 10 or 15 days in a period of 1 month.
For example, say you have a Flexi Global Pass valid for travel on 10 days in a period of 1 month. You can only choose 10 days of those 30 days (1 month) to travel by train. In any one-day trip, you can take an unlimited number of trains.
What you need to know
- Included in the price is a round trip from your country of residence. It is also possible to travel on Eurostar between London, Paris, and Brussels.
- The prices vary according to age: discounts are available for young people aged 12 to 27, for those over 60 and for families with children (free travel for kids under 11), and according to travel days. The different options are from travel on every day within a period of 1 month.
- The price of the ticket varies according to the travel period which ranges from 15 days to one month. You can take the train on five different days to every day with a maximum period of one month.
- You can choose seats in either first or 2nd class.
- Depending on the country you visit this pass allows you to obtain some advantages such as free travel on local public transport, discounts in hotels and restaurants and free visits to museums.
One Country Pass
What you need to know
- You can travel between 3 to 8 days by train within a period of 1 month. On each of those days, you can make unlimited travel by train. The price of the ticket varies according to these criteria and the country you want to visit.
- There are discounts for young people between 12-27 years, over 60 or families. Remember that children under 12 travel for free.
- You can travel by ferry between Italy and Greece.
- You can choose seats in either first or second class.
- According to the country you visit, this pass allows you to obtain some advantages such as free travel on local public transport, discounts in hotels and restaurants and free visits to museums.
Available discounts with Interrail
There is a range of discounts available with an Interrail Pass making travel around Europe even cheaper. The following discounts are available when purchasing your rail pass.
Discounts for young travellers under 27 years
If you are under 27 years, you can enjoy discounts of up to 25%. Available for first and second class.
Discounts for those over 60 years
For the older adventurer, you can enjoy a 10% discount for either first or second class travel.
Discounts for families
Children up to 11 years old travel free with adults.
Special offers with Interrail
(Spain and Italy)
If you want to travel in maximum comfort, we recommend the Interrail Premium, with which you will have additional benefits such as the free reservation for seats, discounted taxi services, children travel for free with adult or senior travellers plus a free travel guide.
Get to know the Greek Islands in depth by choosing the Interrail Greek Islands option to travel to each of the islands by ferry. And if you fancy a little extra adventure during your trip you can also travel to Italy by ferry.
If you decide to visit Italy with One Country Pass, but you are travelling from or to Greece by ferry, this is the perfect pass for you.