The early bird catches the Easter bunny
First things first, it is very early, for Easter. But Easter eggs have already been in the shops for a fortnight, so, we’re hopping on this early-Easter bandwagon because it’s perfect timing for saving money on your train tickets.
The rule to remember is early booking is the best way to get a cheaper ticket. However, the magic moment is approximately 12 weeks before you travel. Train companies release seats for sale at this time, therefore the cheapest fares should be available.
It’s not always practical to book exactly 12 weeks ahead, however, if you are planning some Easter trips the time to book is roundabout now. You can book here.
There are other ways to save too. These are our 5 top tips:
- Use PriceBot (on the app) or the best fare finder (on desktop) to find the cheapest train fare of the day for your journey
- Stay up to date with sales and special offers from across the rail network on our Facebook or Twitter accounts
- Consider peak and off-peak travel times to make sure that a ten minutes difference in departure time doesn’t cost more
- Use a friends and family rail card when travelling with – you guessed it – friends and family!
- Travel in a group of three to nine to qualify for a GroupSave discount