After completing your booking, this ticket gets sent directly to your Trainline app and will stay there even after you've completed your journey.
etickets are sent to you via email. You can download this ticket to your Trainline app, scan the barcode directly from the PDF email attachment or print the PDF and bring this directly to the gates.
Why use them?
Less time at the station
Stay at home a little longer because you don’t have to queue to buy or collect tickets.
Bye bye multiple tickets
Why walk around with a wad of tickets in your wallet? Your phone is all you need.
Never lose your ticket
Because you always know exactly where your phone is.
Better value for money
More fares available on your app than at the ticket machine.
Book for others
Easily book and send tickets to friends and family.
The trees will thank you for not using those paper tickets anymore.
Where in the UK can I use tickets on my phone?*
- All routes
- High availability
- Limited availability
- Coming soon
- Greater London
- South East
- South West
- West Midlands
- North West
- North East
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- East Midlands
- East of England
- Northern Ireland
*Mobile tickets require an Android or iOS smartphone with the free Trainline app to display ticket while travelling. Available on selected routes. Etickets are currently available for Virgin West Coast and Greater Anglia Advance tickets only.
How to get tickets on your phone
- Download the Trainline app - you can get it on iPhone and Android. Make sure you’ve got the latest version.
- Choose the 'mobile ticket' option when booking on the app or Trainline website. If booking on the web, you’ll receive a confirmation email after purchase. Simply open it on your phone to download your tickets to the app.
- Voila! Your mobile ticket will now appear under ‘My Tickets’ in the app.
- First, activate it before heading to the platform - just give it a tap and it’ll change colour. Exciting.
- Scan the ticket barcode using the glass panels at the ticket gates, or show it to train and station staff who’ll be on hand.
- When booking, select 'eticket' as your delivery option.
- Once purchased we will immediately email your tickets as PDF attachments (we will send one email per journey booked).
- If you are buying a ticket for someone else, then you can forward the ticket to them by email.
- Download the tickets to the Trainline app, or scan the barcode directly from the email on your phone.
- For added reassurance, you can print the PDF and use a hard copy.
Trainline always champions technology to make journeys simpler and that includes mobile tickets and etickets. We’re at the forefront of digital ticketing and have been since we worked with Virgin Trains West Coast in 2014 to successfully complete the first mobile tickets pilot.
Our commitment is ongoing as we add new routes and support meeting the government’s target of 100% paper-free ticketing by the end of 2018.